What is Total Station?
A Total Station is a necessary tool while taking survey. The incident ray of beams that passes through the prism is used to mark corner or point in a piece of land.
Functions of total station:
- It simultaneously measures angles & distances and Record
- Correcting the measured distance with:
- Prism constant
- Atmospheric Parameter.
- Curvature of earth
- Refraction correction
- Computing the point elevation
- Computing the coordinates of every point
- Remote elevation measurement
- Remote distance measurement
- Area calculations
- Data Transferring facility from instrument to S/W and S/W to instrument
- Format of conversion of units
- It is not a Rugged instrument (Sensitive).
- Prism vertical position is questionable.
- Visibility is must.
- More Expensive.
- Requires calibration at every six months.
- Amount of error is greater at short distances.
- Height of instrument and prism is to fed.
- Awareness on battery maintenance.
- To establish north- compass is required.